The Knoxville Garden Club was founded in 1923 and became a member of The Garden Club of America in 1932. From the beginning, the club has devoted itself to flowers, gardening, conservation, scholarship and stewardship of the natural world. The purposes of the club are those of The Garden Club of America: to stimulate the knowledge and love of gardening, to share the advantages of association by means of educational meetings, conferences, correspondence and publications, and to restore, improve and protect the quality of the environment through educational programs and action in the fields of conservation and civic improvement.
Since 1934, Knoxville Garden Club members have maintained the gardens of Blount Mansion and annually decorate this historic home for Christmas. KGC members are credited with spearheading efforts to make The Dogwood Trails a reality as well as the establishment of Ijams Nature Center and Knoxville Heritage. The Knoxville Botanical Garden and Arboretum, The University of Tennessee Trial Gardens, Legacy Parks Foundation, and Friends of The Great Smoky Mountains as well as a number of other local and regional garden and conservation efforts are supported by The Knoxville Garden Club.
The Talahi Plant Sale began in 1964 and continues to be the club's primary fundraiser. Treasured plants dug from members' gardens are the mainstay and the sale has become a tradition for area gardeners. Additional fundraising efforts include a fall bulb sale and cookbooks. Area organizations are invited to apply for annual grants, while horticulture students are encouraged to apply for scholarships offered through UT and GCA.
Twice a year, The Knoxville Garden Club hosts Open Meetings featuring top speakers in the areas of horticulture, conservation, and flower arranging. The community is invited to attend these meetings free of charge and to view biennial flower shows.